Tuesday, September 25, 2007

The Journey - Standing! - September 25

Today was the first day that I was able to put any significant weight on my foot. How my heart leapt. I hadn't realized how much I missed that feeling of being in balance. Months of leaning unevenly to reach for things and babying one side. Not that I could put a full half of my weight on that foot. No matter, though, because I felt it. I felt the first traces of function, like the first rivulets of snowmelt in the mountains in springtime.

I have tried to feel grateful for progress over these weeks. In fact, I have felt grateful. Still, I had this longing to feel the beginnings of use in my foot. I went through some moments of disbelief, wondering how I would ever walk on this battered limb again. To feel progress in the use of my foot is a joyous occasion. I am grateful, and I think I can be patient now.

No comments: